Five a Day Music is a year-long music programme for early years, Reception and Year 1 children. It has been developed to support teachers, teaching assistants and nursery staff in engaging young children with music.
Singing together for five minutes a day brings many benefits:
- It introduces topics on the EYFS curriculum: the songs have been created to fit the school year and the seasons, covering topics from from being outdoors to sharing
- It supports development: from language acquisition and motor skills (action songs, dancing), through to concentration and listening
- It enhances wellbeing: singing is a joyful activity and the songs also deal with subjects such as feelings and offer a means of self-expression
- It develops musical confidence: the songs are simple, fun and easy to learn but they reinforce the learning of basic musical concepts such as a steady beat, pitch and dynamics.
- It establishes routine: singing together for five minutes a day is a great way to bring children together and opening each session with the song ‘Time To Sing’ establishes singing as a routine activity and gets everyone focused.
The Five A Day Music programme includes a booklet full of songs and ideas, a large poster to track your progress through the singing year, stickers, weekly online videos which can be used in early years/ school settings as well as access to online training.
Five A Day Music has been developed by Flash Company Arts in partnership with youth music charity NYMAZ . Both organisations have significant expertise in the field of early years music and believe that all children should have the opportunity to make music, no matter what their circumstances or location.
If you would like to deliver this program in your school or setting, or you would like to find out more about becoming a Five a Day Music practitioner get in touch!